Monday, March 14, 2005

Cheating in 12 year old's Basketball games

Ok, here's what happened in my super exciting weekend.

Friday night I coached my son's 5th & 6th grade basketball team in their second playoff game against the league's undefeated team. We lost. It wasn't for a lack of trying. We played them man to man when almost everybody else in the league plays the boring and no-skill-required 2-1-2 zone.

We held them to 2 points in the first quarter. Pretty strong play from my team on D. I could see the other coach was getting frustrated. He had told a friend of mine (another coach) "Nobody can play us man-to man" or something to that effect.

Anyway we ended up losing 28-8 because none of our shots were dropping we had at least 10-12 shots that were the kind that you're amazed when they don't go in the basket. Very frustrating, but hey it's a kids game and they all played great.

Meanwhile in the other gym on the other side of town the other games were taking place. Eveuidently there was a lot of excitement over there. They threw a parent out of the building for yelling at the refs. A guy who I know is mild mannered took a swing at another coach and there were coaches cheating by saying the best kid on the other team had more fouls than he did and trying to foul him out.

Nice huh?? What a bunch of jackasses.

This is why I will continue to coach. I'll never coach like that. Every kid on my team will play a lot. I'll play fair and try to win, but I'm not going to act like an asshole, especially infront of 12 year old kids. Great Parenting Douche Bags.

No comments: