Monday, October 16, 2006

If it's too crazy you're too old.





Ok, so I went to the Social D show Saturday night at ye olde Starland Ballroom. I took my mohawked, guitar-playing, 13 year old son Nick who pretty much likes anything that rocks.

Now at ye olde Starland you can pay an extra $10 (I think) for "Star Parking". That gets you parking that's closer to the door and easier to get out of the lot when the show's over. You also get to go in a seperate door, so you don't have to wait on line to get in and they open this door earlier than the main one.

So Nick had been saying he wanted to try and get up front for the show. Now he's almost 14, but he's still only about 4'9". I said ok, but let's get out of there if it's too crazy. I figured Social D, maybe the crowd is older and a little less crazy, so let's give it a shot.

So we get in the place and there's no one up by the barrier in front of the stage! So we decide to grab a fine piece of fence just to the left of dead center.

Opener was Backpool Lights. They were decent, but a little boring I thought. nothing that grabs you and make you want to jump around.

After that came the Supersuckers. Now I've heard their name for years, but never got to hear their music or see them live. But these guys fucking rocked! Kind of classic rock mixed with punk with a dash of country twang. Insanely good.

Nick and I were rocking out, it was great. The guitarist was soloing litteraly inches in front of us. Nick watched every riff with great intensity (Being a riffologist himself). The guitar player was ripping out blues rock solos that made your arm hairs stand up. And the whole time he was wailing on his Les Paul Tv, he was chewing bubble gum and blowing bubbles.

About mid way through their set, the guitar player came over to where we were and handed Nick something. I thought it was a pick. But it was a piece of gum. Wrapped of course. I told Nick that it probably had special riffmaster powers.

If you get a chance, go see the Supersuckers live, they're a good time party band.

Then out came Social D. It was insane seeing Mike Ness, one foot in front of me ripping through Highway 101, Reach For The Sky and Mommy's Little Monster. But the crowd started to get violent. There was a lot of moshing and pushing and I was worried Nick was gonna get crushed. Plus I was already getting crushed and kicked in the head by the crowd surffers. Did you ever notice that the crowd surfers are never 100 lb girls, thy're always 200 lb guys?

I was drenched in sweat and trying to keep my body behind Nick. I was losing my grip on the barrier and called the security guy over to take Nick over the barrier. I barreled my way through the crowd over to the side and took a few deep breaths.

Now I know I'm too old for the pit. I used to hold my own back in the day. But the pit is for the kids, like Trix. I'll be watching all future shows from the side, with the rest of the old guys.

Good times! and I discovered a "New" band to put in my heavy rotation!

No comments: